Hi, We’re Liz and Eddy
We started Skate Takes to showcase and promote the fun of roller skating in general, but especially as adults, and especially in roller rinks. As recent empty-nesters, we started skating in April of 2022 at the age 52 and were quickly hooked, quite frankly.
We both had roller skated as kids, but as adults, we never knew there was an entire world of skate family out there in the world. We have found that the roller skating community is very welcoming, and we’ve made a ton of new friends.
Roller Skating in 2023
Roller skating in 2023 is not just Gen X’ers like us who grew up when roller skating was popular. The world of roller skating is so diverse, with so many ways for people to participate and enjoy including:
- Old School Roller Rink Roller Skating
- Shuffle Skating
- Speed Skating
- Jam Skating
- Outdoor Roller Skating
- Roller Derby
- Artistic Roller Skating (Figure Skating)
- Vert Skating (On a Ramp)
- Skate Park Skating (Sometimes called Aggressive Roller Skating)
I mean, it’s exciting!
The Skate Takes Mission
Promoting Roller Rink Skating – Support Your Local Rink!
The mission of Skate Takes is not just to promote roller skating in general, but to really bring the focus onto skating in roller rinks. We’ve read that there are only about 1000 roller rinks in the United States, and it really seems like every time we turn around, there is another rink closing. This is tragic!
While we don’t have the money to open our own rink, we started Skate Takes to do what we see as our little part — bringing attention to how fun this all is!
Promoting the Benefits of Roller Skating as An Adult
Besides promoting roller rinks, roller skaters, and events, we also want to help adult roller skaters (old and new) get plugged in to their local skate family. Part of that is touting the benefits of roller skating as an adult including:
- Built-in #skatefamily….you make a ton of new friends!
- Good exercise…it’s a workout!
- Stress relief.…I (Liz) personally view it as a form of therapy!
- Social activity that doesn’t center around alcohol…So many social things do (not that there is anything wrong with that), but it’s really nice to have an option like this if you are trying to not have alcohol in your face all the time lol.
- Awesome music….The DJ’s are such a big part of making the experience great.
- Nostalgia….For elder millenials and Gen Xers, roller skating was a big part of our growing up. It feels good to go back there. 🙂